Say what? Avocado pudding! Sounds ludicrous. I am giving you a fair warning, this DOES NOT taste like Jell-O Chocolate pudding, at all. This pudding is very rich and chocolatey! I was perusing Pinterest the other day and came across these recipes, and later that day when I was on the phone with my dad he told me that he has actually tried it before, and it was GOOD.
I came across three different versions, one with peanut butter, one without, and one with dates (at least I think they were dates). I didn’t have any dates on hand so I decided to make the peanut butter version, and the version sans peanut butter. And because I can’t leave well enough alone, I turned it into a pie.
The first recipe I found over at the The Diva Dish. This is so simple and easy to make! You can just throw all of the ingredient into a food processor and viola, you have pudding!
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/3 cup Agave Nectar
- 1/8 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Medium Avocado
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Dash of Salt
I actually doubled this recipe so I could stick it into a graham cracker pie crust. This is how I made my crust:
Dairy-Free Graham Cracker Crust
- Graham Crackers – I bought my box from Trader Joe’s and I used on little plastic package, there was about 7-9 in the package. I would go count but they are gone 😉
- 6 tbsp melted Earth Balance
- 1/4-1/3 Cup sugar
I crunched up the graham crackers by hand until they were in small crumbs, added in the melted Earth Balance and sugar and mixed together. Then I pressed it into my pie dish to form the crust and added the pudding on top and stuck it in the fridge to set.
Like, I said earlier, this is an incredibly rich desert, a little goes a long way. The peanut butter kicked up the richness and added a nutty flavor to the chocolate, and NO you can’t even taste the avocado.
The next recipe I tried was from The Garden Basket. This recipe is great too, it is rich and chocolatey, sans the richness and flavor of the peanut butter; the flavor has a more simplistic quality.
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- 2 ripe avocados (med. size)
- ½ cup pure cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup raw unpasteurized honey or maple syrup ( I used Novo Mel brand)
- ½ cup rice or almond milk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Freshly shaved coconut or store bought unsweetened (I used fresh – There’s nothing like it!) Alternatively you can use the zest of an organic orange.
Side note: I used agave instead of the honey or maple syrup.
Happy Cooking! Or, should I say mixing and mashing? 🙂